Camp Mercer Infirmary or Dispensary
Camp Mercer medical facilities were critical to the health of camp staff and enrollees.
The camp ambulance expedited medical emergency response time. The wagon depicted here responded to the Dillinger shootout at Little Bohemia on April 22, 1934.
Each CCC camp had a medical officer to deliver services and guide health practices.
Vaccinations were a notorious rite of passage, as depicted in a 1936 Mercer Monitor cartoon.
Patients needing complicated medical procedures were transported to Grandview Hospital in Ironwood, Michigan.
John Wawrzyniec, who enlisted in July, has been subjected to an Appendectomy at Grandview Hospital, Ironwood, Mich. Major Roberts performed the operation. John is doing nicely and is expected back in Camp very soon.
LeRoy L. Hetscher, First Aid Assistant, has taken a discharge to accept other employment. He has been in CCC service eleven months, four months of this period he worked in the Infirmary. He has also done clerical work in the office. His friends will remember him as a cheerful, laughing, and very friendly fellow. Good luck, ‘Lee’.
When enrollees needed to be quarantined for mumps or measles, the recreation hall was converted to an isolation ward.
DISPENSARY NOTES by Slugger Hatton
There were more men in quarters during the month of February than any other month within the last eight months due to bed colds and mumps. There were five cases of mumps. So boys, beware!
New rubber matting was placed on the Dispensary floor last week.
Major S.M. Roberts visited the Dispensary last month.
The Dispensary is still a popular place on Sunday mornings. Aspirins being the big attraction.
Barrack No.-1 has been converted to a temporary isolation ward. The mumpers have a home all their own, but they seem anxious to leave. They say, “They are anxious to go to work again.” Ask them why.
There was a terrific flurry in the Dispensary a few weeks ago. Radloff went to ‘town’ to give the girls a break.